Saturday, August 11, 2012

In Remembrance of Ray Bradbury by PJ Hultstrand

Ray Bradbury, recipient of the 2000 National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters, the 2004 National Medal of Arts, and the 2007 Pulitzer Prize Special Citation, died on June 5, 2012, at the age of 91 after a long illness.

Every author has someone in their early years of writing who was instrumental in not only allowing the onset of their love for reading, but had pushed them to try the art of writing. Ray Bradbury was my mentor in this life of writing. However, Ray had taught me more than to keep writing if I wanted to one day become an author, but he had LIFE lessons which I had taken to heart and emmulated.

Ray had been instrumental in so many young writer's lives in his vast seventy year career as an author. He has written hundreds of short stories and almost fifty books, as well as numerous poems, essays, operas, plays, teleplays, and screenplays. Bradbury had adapted sixty-five of his stories for television on his own show in the 70's, The Ray Bradbury Theater.

In 2005, Bradbury published a book of essays titled Bradbury Speaks, in which he wrote: "In my later years I have looked in the mirror each day and found a happy person staring back. Occasionally I wonder why I can be so happy. The answer is that every day of my life I've worked only for myself and for the joy that comes from writing and creating. The image in my mirror is not optimistic, but the result of optimal behavior."
Thank you Ray, for your wisdom and excellence. Reminds me of another great line from a movie - "Be excellent to each other and party on dudes".

No comments: