Friday, July 13, 2012

Meet a Sci-Fi Poet and Writer, Sylvia van Bruggen

Mindscreens
by Sylvia van Bruggen


Jessamine Harper has it all: University course she loves, job as a Top-level Healer and dream man in the form of desirable Professor Lucas Corwin; but when Corwin breaks down and is taken away by the Mindcops, the world that Jessamine knows begins to unravel. Does the boy she hate, Ben, hold the key to her past as well as her future? Can she escape the clutches of the Mindcops herself? Only time will tell, and does Jess have much of that left?

Publisher Simply Blissful Press
Release Date April 21, 2012
Website:
http://sylviavanbruggen.blogspot.com
Purchase Link:
MindScreens

Author Guest Post:  Sylvia is sharing a poem today.


It is a strange feeling, the sensation you have
when there are words flowing out of you like you
are a fountain of them. A limitless fountain of 
marvelous creations and sentences dancing around

There is no limit to my self when I write
I can be whomever I chose to be, a dancer
a poet, a scholar, a beggar, is there any
one I cannot be when I choose to be them?

It is a strange feeling, it oozes out of me
sprinkles onto the pavement, and lashes out
at me with a seemingly act of vengeance, I 
am complete in a way, and yet there is only

One fountain, one writer, one mind, one soul
that dances infinitely amongst an ocean of a b c
do you understand what that means? do you know
how that feeling can overtake you in a moment?

Thus is an artisan soul, the soul of one who
can only live words, who can only breathe one
word at a time, one paragraph after another,
it is a soul that lives through their words

I bow to you in a manner of speaking, and 
a smile in joy takes shape, my soul rejoices, 
my anger subsides for a while and I am peace
I am limitless, alone only in my minds eye

Have a wonderful day
Sylvia
 
About the Author:
 
Sylvia van Bruggen is a fantasy/science fiction writer, poet, avid blogger and artist. She is the founder of Playful Creative, a website for creatives who want to work through their mental blocks and who want to learn how to play with their writing. She has self-published a novella, two poetry books, and her poems and short stories have been published in various magazines. She currently writes a fantasy novel, and she works on publishing another poetry book. She lives in the Netherlands with her husband, two cats and several novels in various draft stages.

Book Excerpts:
 
Exerpt 1
"What's the emergency?" An equally snappy voice answered straight away, "Healer Harper, report to Med-Office at the south entrance. Slip and fall, going through scanner now, but judging from the bone sticking out I'd say it's broken." Grade A injury, good thing I hadn't eaten.
"I'm gonna miss class, you have to report me!"
"Not my problem, now scoot along."
I pushed my Jotter into my bag, shouted: "Medical emergency!" and started to run down the hallway. Left, right, down the stairs, swerve around some slobbering kissers, and then down the long corridor to the Med-Office, my voice getting hoarser and hoarser from shouting at people. The curse of being a Grade A Healer, only getting called when there's a big emergency. Better learn how to run fast if you want to save someone's life.

Exerpt 2
My emotions rose from some deep energy well inside of me, and I spat the words into his face as fast as I could, "No, I don't remember it, I don't remember any fucking detail about our past, except for some vague scraps of memory that loom up from goodness-knows-where! I haven't got any fucking clue about all the things you seem to remember so well. It's as if I got split in two, and the other Jess has a much better life then I've had in these past couple of months, to state the glaringly obvious." I slammed my fist against his chest, and shouted: "Damn it!"

1 comment:

Patti Hultstrand said...

You can still come by and say hello to Sylvia. Comments or questions may just win you a prize.