Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Pumpkin Man Scares his way into LepreCon38

The Pumpkin Man
by John Everson

Book Review by Nyki Robertson-Crosby
for ConNotations NewsZine - April/May 2012 edition

When I read the back of the book, the first thought I had was, "Cool, a Haunted Location story. One of my favorite themes." I kept reading and said, "No, wait it's also a supernatural serial killer and oh my, there's more, he also tosses in 'Black Magic' (thick with vengeance curses) and is trying to tie it all up with the Urban Legend theme." My, pretty ambitious. Either it will be choppy and disjointed or, if he has any talent, it might just be readable. Maybe.

Well, with low expectations, I read the book (along with my husband, Blaine). Three words: I AM IMPRESSED and let me tell you, that hasn't happened in a while! He manages to expertly weave the different, seemingly cookie-cutter horror themes into an interesting and immediately engaging story. His main "Protagonist", school teacher Jennica Murphy, is down-to-earth, has lots of common sense, yet also has a keen, if subtle sense of humor making her easy to immediately identify with - and guys don't go away yet thinking this is written for women, because my husband agrees with me. Looking at the "Antagonist", the Pumpkin Man from the title; he is not just be the stereotypical "Evil Bad Guy", but is written to show that he was a real person and is someone you feel compassion for.

It is evident to me, from reading this book, why he won the Bram Stoker Award for his novel, "Siren". This is an author I would actually pay money for, instead of doing the usual exchange of book with others or just checking it out of the Library - for those who do not know me; that is High Praise.

If you are into the Horror Genre, John Everson is an author you definitely need to add to your personal collection.

YOU CAN MEET JOHN EVERSON AT LEPRECON 38 AS OUR FIRST EVER - VIRTUAL GUEST AUTHORS ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON, APRIL 7TH.

No comments: