Saturday, December 3, 2011

How to deal with Stupid Clowns with John Garrett





 
I can remember when I got my first comic book. It was actually a batch of six comics my mom bought for me from a garage sale. Two Spider-Womans, two Avengers, a Spider-Man and a Fantastic Four comic.

They were all beat up and worn, but still the colors popped off the page and the artist drew the figures with such a sense of motion -I was hooked!

Man, I slept with those things! I even learned much of my early vocabulary from comics. Many times my parents would be stumped when I would come in ask what a certain word or term was.

That Fantastic Four was a killer! Centrifugal force, momentum, cosmic rays, electromagnetic spectrum and a whole bunch of other questions came from those pages.

I spent my whole life trying to draw the characters from those pages. Usually my drawing was what took precedence, but the writing kind of just naturally snuck up on me.

I couldn't just draw a figure, I had to make up a story for him as well. What was he doing? Why was he in this pose? Why was his costume damaged? What happened??

Comics grew into a love of Sci-Fi and Fantasy books, but I never strayed too far away.
Eventually I decided to take a stab at melding the two. I wanted to have the humor of Scott Adams Dilbert, with some of the humorous writings I'd become known for in my own blog. Hey, why not?

Thus was born my e-book "How to Deal with Stupid Clowns who DonÕt know what the Hell theyÕre talking about!"

The topic came up because I'd been dealing with some really difficult and annoying people of late, and I wanted to strike back...only in comic form.

Once I came up with the clown motif, the whole thing just took off. I would write a chapter, then try to think of a comic that would capture the essence of the writing as an intro to the writing.

Here's a look at the book trailer:


Doing this ebook has been such a journey of toil and yet such personal satisfaction. I get such a kick out of people telling me they thought it was funny or they loved the art or the story.
Er, but the money is also good. Yes, indeed.

Anyway, doing "Stupid Clowns" is kind of a showpiece for me. Even though it won't make me a million dollars, here's something I can point to and say "this is what I can do." I can combine the best of both worlds and really show off my talents.

Although, one hurdle I did discover was that combining comics and writing as I've done makes it hard to categorize and sell your book -especially when it comes to getting your book onto the iBookstore or Kindles out there.

I wasn't expecting that, so I think for my next outing I may just go either or. A big treasury book of comics or either a novel or satire piece. That makes it a bit easier on the backend when you're trying to market your grand creation.

So all in all I had a great time putting this together and I hope others can get some enjoyment out of this. Make sure to leave any comments or questions you may have in the comments area and I'll be sure to answer them. Thanks for reading and all the best success!

 John Garrett is an artist, writer, web designer and all around capital fellow who prefers his food in sandwich form. Comics, Sci-fi, Fantasy and tech stuff are what hold his interest and
also get him in trouble on a daily basis!

2 comments:

Az Publishing Services, LLC said...

Thank you John for being a feature on my blog this week. Enjoyed your visit. You are welcome back any time.

John Garrett said...

Hey thanks so much for having me! I appreciate your support to writers out there. Have a great week!