Monday, September 5, 2011

Authors Supporting Authors: Stacey Kennedy

*waves* I’m a multi-epublished author and have been published for a year. Epublishing was a good first step for me. Seeing that I had no experience writing, except for what I learned in college, I needed a mentor. I found that in epublishing. Every editor I worked with taught me more and I gobbled up everything they had to show me.

Months after my first story was released, I had written an urban fantasy romance, Stolen Dreams. I shopped it around to epublishers and also print publishers, but got a big fat rejection from each of them. I happened to disagree. I loved this story and believed in it! So what did I do? I hired an editor and self-published it. To my surprise, it went straight to Amazon’s Bestseller list.

Trust me when I say I was shocked and thrilled! At the same time, an opportunity presented itself. Sure, my bank account loved me, but I knew I couldn’t let the opportunity pass me by. I did something that I never thought I’d do. I pulled the story from distribution. Why you ask? Because now, I had a history with the story, a fan base and felt more confident about it.

Long story short, I shopped the story around to a few of my dream agents. I’ve always wanted to be represented and to eventually sell a series to New York. It turned out that this story wasn’t exactly right for the agents, but in fact, had found a perfect home at Ellora’s Cave—an epublisher that I’d been trying to get into for some time. I was ecstatic with that outcome.

However, this story introduced me to Lauren Ruth, an agent at BookEnds. She loved my voice and style. WOO HOO! From that introduction, she offered me representation. Yes, I happy danced all over the place. I’m so excited to work with her and see where it takes me.

Where am I going with this?

Taking chances is the best advice I could give to any aspiring author. Even though, Stolen Dreams was selling well, I took the opportunity and used it to my advantage. That story not only got me into Ellora’s Cave, but was how my writing got in front of an agent, who eventually signed me. If I hadn’t self-published the story, simply forgot about it because it’d been rejected, none of this would never have happened. The last piece of advice is write for fun! Your love of a story always come through. My latest release came from the result of my being exhausted from writing a full length novel. It’s a humorous, paranormal romance that made me laugh the whole way through. Sometimes, authors need a break to remind themselves why we love what we do and just to make it as fun as possible.

A witch with unruly magic, a demon gone good, lava-hot passion and a tornado of emotions–just another night in Strange Hollow.

For Bryanna, a witch from the Asheville Coven, magic is on the fritz. Shunned by her coven and her boyfriend Layton for her unruly magic, she seeks a new life for herself. It just so happens, fate steps in and brings her to Strange Hollow–a place where being different is not only acceptable, but encouraged. When Bryanna arrives in Strange Hollow, Zeke, a demon gone good, is burning with Hell’s fire over her. Not only has she set his world ablaze, but he’s found one soul he can save. He’s determined to free her from the insecurities that have damaged her soul. Together they experience lava-hot passion as they weave their way through a tornado of emotions. But when Layton returns for her, will Zeke’s attempts to break the unworthy cage woven around her be enough to keep her in Strange Hollow forever?  
Whatnots & Doodads buy link - - http://www.staceykennedy.com/whatnots-doodads/
 
Stacey Kennedy’s novels are lighthearted fantasy with heart squeezing, thigh-clenching romance, and even give a good chuckle every now and again. But within the stories you’ll find fast paced action, life threatening moments and a big bad villain that needs to be destroyed. Her urban fantasy/paranormal and erotic romance series have hit Amazon Kindle and All Romance Ebooks Bestseller lists. If she isn’t plugging away at her next novel, tending to her two little ones, she’s got her nose deep in a good book. She lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband. Be sure to drop her a line at www.staceykennedy.com, she loves to hear from her readers.
 ~Stacey

SECRET WISHES, Pact of Seduction Book OneCOMING SOON with Loose Id
SUPERNATURALLY KISSED , A Frostbite NovelCOMING SOON with Ellora’s Cave

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I love Elloras Cave! I can't wait to read this and your newest works! That was a great post!
viajeradelmar@aol.com

Stacey said...

Thanks for having me by! :)