Friday, September 23, 2011

7 Important Benefits of Press Release Distribution

by Mickie Kennedy
eReleases / Press-Release-Writing.com
Every once in a while someone on the Internet declares that
press releases are dead. Largely this is meant to attract
traffic and links. Being controversial is a great way to get
people talking. Often these "link bait" authors know they
are wrong and just want to stir the pot. Other times, they
want to position their own marketing product as the current
solution.

Long Live the Press Release

The problem is that the press release is still alive and
well, and even in this age of new media, press releases have
adapted to help companies get valuable publicity for
spreading their message. Today's press release still helps
companies get media coverage (even on blogs and podcasts
now), and they can also provide SEO benefits.

The benefits of press release distribution are numerous.

Here are 7 of them:

1. All businesses can benefit from press release
distribution. No matter what industry you're in and no
matter how small or big your company is, you can benefit
from press release distribution. Even if you don't have that
"Oprah story," you do have stories that can get you coverage
in trade journals, magazines, blogs, podcasts, and other
publications that cover your industry. Of course, you can't
get that publicity unless you tell your story.

2. Press release distribution is fairly inexpensive. Most
companies write their own press releases. The only expense
comes with hiring a press release distribution service to
get the story in the hands of key media members. But even
this is inexpensive, and when compared with paid
advertising, press release distribution is almost always the
more affordable option.

3. You can boost your company's visibility. This is
especially important for small businesses, but even large
corporations need to fight for consumer mindshare. By
sticking to a long-term press release distribution strategy,
you let customers know who you are, what you do, and why
they need you. You also gain the attention of journalists,
and over time, they start to trust you more and give you
more media coverage.

4. Press releases can establish you as an industry expert.
Why is it important to be seen as an expert? First,
expertise helps you gain the trust of your customers. Once
they trust you, they're likelier to buy from you. But being
an expert is also good for media relations. Whenever the
media needs someone to comment on a story related to your
industry, you want to be the one they call on.

5. Good press releases can spread far and wide. A while
back, I talked about the importance of targeting smaller
local media outlets. One of the reasons I gave is that most
major media outlets get a significant percentage of their
stories from local media outlets throughout the world.
That's how the news industry works. One reporter picks up a
story, and then it spreads from one publication to the next.

6. Use your news to get more customers. With today's online
press releases, the media is no longer the only audience
you're writing for. 80 million people get their news online
every day. Many of these people are your customers. So, you
need to keep your buyers in mind when writing your press
releases. And no, that doesn't mean turning your press
release into an advertisement.

7. Investors keep up with the news too. Press releases
highlighting the successes and advancements made by your
company can be powerful tools for attracting investors. Make
sure to set up an online news room on your website for
investors to browse through.

This article previously appeared in PR Fuel (http://www.ereleases.com/pr/prfuel.html), a service of eReleases.com Press Release Distribution (http://www.ereleases.com).

About eReleases.com

eReleases.com is the online leader in affordable press release distribution. The company's website - http://www.ereleases.com - features tips and resources for those wanting to learn more about press releases and public relations. eReleases also publishes a free, weekly newsletter titled PR Fuel that showcases advice and articles from experts in the media.

mickie@ereleases.net
Business: 410-931-2966
Toll Free: 800-710-5535

Website: http://www.ereleases.com
Follow me: http://twitter.com/ereleases
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/publicity
Blog: http://www.ereleases.com/prfuel/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ereleases.press.release.distribution

2 comments:

Dave Z said...

Mickie,

Thanks for reading my post on the lack of respect for press releases, entitled Your Flack Is Broken.

I'm responding to your e-mail here; I've put myself out there with my opinions, as have you. I figure that this is an interesting enough issue that it would be worth keeping our discussion out in the open.

I'm assuming that you've heard my argument about the decreasing relevance of press releases before - your note to me to counter it is the copy in the post above. (Your first e-mail to me was also a blog post. Hmmmm - Are you alive, Mickie, or are you just an amalgam of pre-written blog posts? :) )

Say what you want about my article - I'm an ex-reporter, and an ex-agency PR person and I'm working full-time as an in-house marketer.. So, while I wouldn't argue that I'm trying to get people to read my blog, I'm not selling a marketing service. (My product is me, and my current employer - a financial technology provider - has already checked me out.)

So, while you might call my headline "link chum," please, don't call it "link bait." :)

All the arguments in your post in favor of press releases are great marketing outcomes. However, they are tactic agnostic goals.

I'm not "against" press releases any more than I'm "against" fax machines. You need a fax machine to do marketing. However, it's an archaic tool and not one that is particularly important, in my opinion. It's also becoming less important as time goes on, in my opinion.

Alive or not, I think you're a great writer of blogs and e-mails. You've picked the right message for the right channels. These interactions are becoming increasingly important for building brand and sales as time goes on.

The messages that you developed, and articulate so deftly, would not be particularly well suited to a press release, which is the point I was making.

Anyway, drop me a line on my blog,davidzweifler.wordpress.com, if you want to talk some more. I appreciate your feedback, and hope you will keep in touch.

Dave

Peter Milton said...

I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article. I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates. storage marketing materials