Thursday, March 10, 2011

HD Hatcher: Authors Supporting Authors Tour Stop

Author's Supporting Authors Virtual Tour

HD Hatcher - Author of A Cold Dark Place

Writing for Charity
I recently had the honor of working with six amazingly talented authors on an anthology entitled, Unloved.

I was so moved by the stories in the news about young men and women committing suicide because they had been bullied to the point of hopelessness. I wanted to help but I had no idea what I could do. Grant you, I knew that I could easily donate money to a miscellaneous cause. However, this didn’t sit well with me.

Almost overnight, I had an idea. Why not write a book about bullying and donate all of the money to bully prevention programs.  I immediately contacted the publisher and asked them what they thought about the idea. Well, they loved the idea.

I knew that this task would be too daunting and time consuming for just one person to handle alone. I mean honestly, if you are anything like me, you have a fulltime job and it can take six or seven months to write a novel.

I racked my brain, and decided to enlist the help of some of the most talented people I know. (Davis, Omegia Keeys, Autumn Prince, Lisa Rusczyk, KJ Thompson, and Vogue) I used Facebook to contact them each individually, and then we created a group and listed it as “secret” so that we could work freely and keep the details of the project amongst ourselves.  The group was called, The Author Project.

The Author Project was just a generic name for what we were, and what we were doing.  We were authors and this was our project. The name, The Author Project was slated to go away when the project was complete. However, we decided that we liked the sound of  The Author Project, and kept it.

We didn’t even have a title for the story yet when we started this. The stories were originally supposed to be about bullying. The stories could be Happy, sad, good, bad, or indifferent; it didn’t matter.

As the stories started coming in for review, I noticed that some of the stories were not about bullying at all.  Some of the stories were about suicide as well. I was elated that these wonderful writers were taking the time to write from the heart, and not just what they were expected to write.

Everyone poured their heart and souls into Unloved. This is how I knew that we had something special. We all worked together as an amazing team, and I would not change a thing about the experience


3 comments:

rpoe said...

Great blog as always. I wish you the best on all your endeavors!

Az Publishing Services, LLC said...

It is not very often that I get to feature a time-travel book that is not being published by my house. There are so many more writers like myself who love the idea of time-travel and write about it now. Do I think there is an increase of works out there now in this sub genre? Yes, I do. I believe there are very few sci-fi premises that have not been fulfilled and time-travel is one of them, and space colonization is another.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, for all time i used to check website posts here in the
early hours in the daylight, as i like to find out more and more.
Here is my site : herbal products online