Tuesday, September 28, 2010

David Fingerman: Authors Supporting Authors Blog Tour

SILENT KILL
by David Fingerman

BACK COVER INFO:
Police must follow a labyrinth, leading into the darkest tunnel of a twisted mind. A mind that carries no value for human life... Minneapolis police officer Louise Miller has attitude. Not only does she have to deal with the good old boy mentality of the department, but she's also a gay police officer who has to deal with harassment on a higher level. When one of her few friends on the force goes missing Miller investigates, despite her captain's order to leave it to the detectives. As Miller scours the precinct for any sign of the missing officer, Elias Boughton is on a psychopathic rampage. Kidnapping and murder are games he plays, blindly obeying a voice from his past. As the body count rises, Miller is convinced the detectives are heading in the wrong direction. Trying to fit the puzzle together, each clue revolves around a particular Rottweiler. As the mystery unravels so does her life, and the case becomes more personal than she ever dared imagine.

ARTICLE FROM DAVID:

Eons ago when I was a wee nip of a lad,  I remember saving breakfast cereal boxtops until I had enough to send away for something cool.  Poor memory doesn't allow me to remember what those cool toys were, but I do remember waiting patiently each day (at least the first week, waiting quite impatiently the next 4 to 6 weeks) for the mailman to drop off a small package with my name on it.  Those memories came flooding back a few weeks ago when my publisher, L&L Dreamspell, emailed me what the cover to "Silent Kill" would look like.  The first thing that hit me was what a great cover.  The second was my understanding that the cover would be the last step before the book being sent off to the printer.  That meant the book would soon be released.  I ordered some extra copies to send out for reviews, etc.,  and the wait began.  The first week passed by with no trauma.  I wasn't really expecting anything.  In the back of my mind there was a faint glimmer of hope that maybe by Friday or Saturday ~ but no.  By Wednesday of the next week I kept thinking any day now.  When just the typical mail showed up on Saturday I could feel the little kid in me getting a bit flustered.  As the next week wore on it was a chore not to sit out on the front step and wait for the postal carrier. (A lot has changed since I was young - they're called postal carriers now.  One other thing has changed since I was a kid waiting for the mailman.  Back then one could pretty much count on the mail arriving at the same time everyday.  Today it seems as though I have a different carrier each day.  I can get my mail as early as 9am or as late as 6:30pm.  It varies day-to-day which could make sitting on the front step an exercise in futility - and a very sore butt.)  By thursday the stress was getting to me.  I dreamt that night that my books arrived but the print was so small, the entire book was no bigger than a pamphlet - complete with staple in the middle.  I thought that was a sign.  I was going to get my books on Friday.  Nope.  Saturday morning I slept until 9:30.  Not ten minutes after getting up, the doorbell rang.  I peeked out the window and saw the postal carrier walking back to his truck.  My heart raced faster than my feet as I dashed to the front door.  There, next to the welcome mat (well, mat anyway.  I admit I'm not the most social of creatures) were boxes of my book.  And nope - they ain't pamphlet size.  I gotta say ~ it's a damn handsome book.  Buy one and see for yourself (hey, if I'm not going to pimp myself ~ who will?).



I was born in St. Paul, but once out of the hospital I've lived my entire life in Minneapolis. During the summer months when the sun is shining and birds singing, I'm perfectly content to sit in my office, with blinds drawn, typing away at my computer.  My favorite day of the year is the first day I pull a flannel shirt out of the closet.  After 24 years of working in the court system, I walked away to write full time.  "Edging past Reality" is my first book of short stories.  "Silent Kill" is my first novel.

No comments: