Thursday, July 15, 2010

Vogue: Authors Supporting Authors Tour Stop

WHAT HAPPENED TO HUMILITY?
by Vogue

Since announcing to the world that I’m a published author, I’ve instantly become “Facebook friends” with some of the most popular writers in the biz as well as some who are beginners like me. Being friends with people on Facebook allows you to see almost everything that they do or say depending on their settings. While in most cases this is a plus, there are times when it isn’t. I’ve realized this with one author. Of course, to keep from being sued for slander, I won’t call any names.


This author has sold millions of copies of books and has moved on to bigger and better things. Still, he/she tends to put down the underdog (people like me who are working to get our name out there).

Why does the “underdog,” have to be accused of being copycats when we are simply trying to reach the masses?

The author even stated that some of us will never make. I don’t understand this. Why can’t the underdogs just be supported and encouraged?

People see dollar signs, get bigheaded and forget to be humble. At one point in time, you weren’t the author selling a million copies of a book. At one point in time, you were struggling to get your name out to the world just like the underdog.  And guess what…the UNDERDOG is what got you there. You don’t become a New York Times Best-selling author on your own. Yes, you wrote the book, but people have to buy the book in order for it to happen. You should thank these people every single day. They are the reason you’re given thousands of dollars in publishing deals. YOU need US in order to be successful. It’s not the other way around.

It’s sad that some authors don’t recognize this. All they see is numbers in front of their face, which is proven with their frequent status messages about how the underdog will never reach their level. Statements like these just show the lack of support that some authors give each other.

Although none of these status messages have been publicly aimed at me, as a new author, it is very discouraging to see a seasoned author making comments such as this. At this point in my life, I realize that I only need positive energy in my circle. All negativity can go in the trash. DELETE!

 April L. Blanding/ Vogue 
Simply Vogue- www.simplyvogue.net 
faith...hope...trust 

No comments: