Thursday, June 3, 2010

David Fingerman: Authors Supporting Authors Blog Tour


Interview with David Fingerman:
Author of Edging Past Reality





Patti:  Looks like you write suspense horror? Would that be correct?
David:
I also write mystery, humor, and other stuff.  But yes, the vast majority of my writing is horror and suspense.
  
Patti: What is the difference between suspense and horror?
David:
Tough question.  I think that it's pretty subjective.  They're both broad enough categories that there's a lot of overlapping. Offhand, I can't think of a horror story that can't also be called suspense.  It seems that the mainstream connotation of horror involves a supernatural element where suspense doesn't.  Although I do consider Psycho a classic horror movie. 

Patti: Are your short stories connected by some common element? If so, then what is the commonality?
David:
The theme that strings the stories together in Edging Past Reality would be altered reality.  I really like to take everyday normal people and shove them into situations far past anything they can comprehend.  EPR is divided up into sections starting with stories of childhood and ending with seniors.  No one, not even kids and old folk are immune – BWAHAHAHAHA!

Patti: How did you design that cover?
David:
I wish I could take credit, but I have to give the kudos to Two Harbors Press.  Their cover artist asked me what I had in mind.  This is what they came back with.  It really wasn't close to what I had envisioned - it was so much better.

Patti: What is your favorite story - by which author?
David:
Yikes.  There have been so many.  It's not my favorite story but it has stayed with me since I first read it back in the early 80s, and it still makes me think (plus, it is my favorite title because of the emotion it emits).  The Whimper of Whipped Dogs by Harlan Ellison.  It's from his book, Deathbird Stories.

Patti:  How has this favorite story affected your writing style?David:
Actually, what has affected my writing style, or lack thereof, was an interview I read about Stephen King.  He was being criticized for his lack of style.  He said flat out that he was a meat and potatoes kind of writer.  I'm not in any way comparing myself to Stephen King, but like him, I do want to tell a good and entertaining story.  Since I read that interview I don't concern myself with style, but just telling the best story I can.  If people want to read flowing, melodic passages, they aren't going to find it with my (ahem) style.  If they want to read between the lines and look for some hidden message or agenda, go right ahead.  If you find one, well, that'll be news to me.  But if you want to read a story that will let you escape reality for a bit ~ give it a try.

Patti:  What's next for you?
David:
My first novel, Silent Kill, should be released very soon.  It's a suspense/thriller.  Going back to your earlier question regarding the difference between horror and suspense ~ I could certainly consider this one horror, also.  There is nothing supernatural in it, but there are a number of scary moments.
Patti:  And, where are you going next in your blog tour?
David:
My next stop is June 7th.  I'm being interviewed on Blog Talk Radio with BK Walker.  One June 9th, I'll be a guest blogger with Cindy van den Heuvel.  Anyone can check my entire tour schedule at: http://davidfingerman.com.


Bio:  I was born in the dark recesses of St. Paul, Minnesota.  Well, recesses meaning a hospital, and I'm sure they had lights but it was 2:15 in the morning so at least it was dark outside.  I grew up in Minneapolis with an interest in reporting.  I started my career with Bill's Press (my friend Bill lived across the street and his dad owned a mimeograph machine – holy cripes, does that date me!)  I think we were about six at the time and we'd basically tell my friend's mom what we saw in the neighborhood, and she'd type it up for us.  My first story went something like, "There was a car crash on the corner of 39th and Abbott.  I don't think anyone got hurt but I had to leave before the police got there because a sixth grader came and beat me up."  We sold the mimeographed pages door-to-door for a dime. 

The journalism bug stayed with me through college, at least until my final quarter.  I realized that if I switched my major to speech, I had the requirements and could graduate that quarter.  It was then that I realized journalism was not where I was meant to be.  After a four to five year hiatus of anything related to writing (college will do that) I began to write short stories.  After a little more time, I then tried my hand at getting them published.  After bunches of years, here I be.

2 comments:

Az Publishing Services, LLC said...

Welcome David, say HI to everyone. I will be promoting on Twitter and Facebook tomorrow.

This interview will be at the top of the blog until Saturday late night.

Have fun.
Patti Hultstrand
Publisher/CEO
Az Publishing Services, LLC

david said...

Thanks so much, Patti. Great job!