Monday, May 10, 2010

Az Publishing Author Feature #7: Zoe Sherwood



Zoe Sherwood - Be Uplifted Press

When did you first realize you wanted to write?
I was writing pretty much through High School, was an English Major and then majored in Comparative Literature at University.  I always wanted to be an editor, like Jackie Onassis at Doubleday.  Then when I moved here to Arizona in my early twenties, I just started writing and have been doing it ever since.  I never wrote in German, even though I grew up there, but once I moved here and English became my primary language, it just took off.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in writing your book(s)?
That it was so easy.  I’m one of those people who can write anytime, anywhere.  I don’t have writer’s block.  All I need to do is relax a little.  Another thing that surprised me was that I was often surprised what flowed onto the page. I didn’t have to think about it, yet there it was!

What do you think makes a compelling story?
Life is such an amazing journey that people’s experiences just fascinate me.  I think the best stories are autobiographical and the second best are written by authors who’ve lived deeply, authentically and show they’ve had their share of sorrow and joy, pain and happiness, love and loss and who convey a passion for life, expressed in a way that appeals to our emotions, which is where we identify with the story. Through our feelings which are universal.

Where did you get the idea for your story?
I read a few books on affirmations and I liked parts of them, but they weren’t quite what I was looking for, so I wrote one.

What is the hardest part of writing?
Time!  I pretty much have to work at night, mostly through the night because I can’t find any uninterrupted time.

If you could have one wish, what would it be?
To meet all the great writers I admire who have come before us. 

What are you working on next? 
Well, myself.  Then, another affirmations book and I’m working on a new poetry book as well.

What author(s) have had an impact on your writing?
What authors didn’t?  Shakespeare--The Tempest
Shakespeare--A Midsummer Night's Dream
Shakespeare--The Merchant of Venice
Charlotte Bronte-Jane Eyre
Emily Bronte-Wuthering Heights (old favorite)
Jane Austen--Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen--Emily
Jane Austen--Sense and Sensibility
Tolstoi--Anna Karenina
Dostojewski-The Brother's Karamasov
Dostojewski--Crime and Punishment
Arthur Conan Doyle-The Hound of Baskerville
Daphne du Maurier--Rebecca (old favorite)
Simone de Beauvior--Letters to Sartre
Simone de Beauvior--The second Sex
Jean Paul Sartre--The Transcendence of the Ego
Erich Fromm--The Art of Loving
Emmet Fox--The Semont on the Mount
John Bradshaw-Healing the Shame that Binds You
Steven Lane Taylor--Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Melody Beattie-The language of letting go
Henry Miller--Tropic of Cancer (once banned in the US for obscenity)
Anais Nin--Delta of Venus, Little Birds
David Sedaris--Me talk pretty one day
Loraine Depres--The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc
Philip Beard--Dear Zoe
M. J. Ryan--Attitudes of Gratitude
Melodie Beattie--Beyond Codependency
Azar Nafisi--Reading Lolita in Theran (a must read)
Kim Addonizzio—What is this thing called Love?

1 comment:

Loraine Despres said...

I'm thrilled to see that I have had an impact on your writing with my novel THE SCANDALOUS SUMMER OF SISSY LEBLANC. I'm especially flattered to be in such good company.