Sunday, February 28, 2010

I hear my authors' cry

I wrote to one of my author's recently and thought it should be shared in part by anyone who cares about independent publishing and America's book industry.
___________________________________________________________________

I hear your aggravation. I am certainly glad when author's look for avenues to sell their books. I have said from the beginning that this is a group effort and that we will all grow together. Charles Burgess was my first author outside of Don and myself. That was just last May. We are gumming our way through all the red tape that has crusted over from age and put there by the dinosaur publishing companies who don't want us to play in their sand box.

19 books so far and now growing by 3 books a month. We are being noticed which is great in some sand boxes, but not good in the B&N and Borders play grounds. Our book production is getting better and just the fact that we are still in business in this economy is amazing.

Other than tooting the horn, what I'm saying is we are scratching our way thru those roadblocks and from every success, you guys benefit. I don't bother you guys with all the negative stuff. That is my job to get worked up about. Thank God my partner is there to calm me down when I start tackling the soap box. Frankly, I get really upset when we are denied access to potential sales because there is a dinosaur in the way!

I know you guys are hearing things too in your back yards. Remember though, that you came aboard for a reason. I'm leading the charge and am down there in the trenches with you lady. And there are days when I wonder how the hell did I get into this mess! Then I help an author with their book and their excitement is infectious.

It is too late for me to drop everything because I would be letting too many of you down. And I enjoy getting drunk on your excitement and anticipation when the book is in the production stages. So, I do understand your aggravation. Besides, I have too much invested in all of you and your books. Obviously money is in those noble ideals somewhere.

And obviously I have taken a risk and it's in my best interest to make it happen for your guys! And I will! I will get through that red tape. We will be in those big dinosaur bookstores. But what all of you need to understand, just because we are in those bookstores, doesn't mean crap if we don't sell those books in 3-6 weeks. Otherwise they ship them all back to me and my expense.

NOT FAIR! I know. But the bookstores hold the keys to the sandbox and the big publishers hold the sand.

So, I'm going for the ankles, and want all of you there with me.
Patience is a virtue, wish I had some.

Your Publisher,
Patti Hultstrand
Az Publishing Services, LLC

No comments: